Monday, December 9, 2013

The Morning Five

Mornings can be a never-ending source of drama.

My older children have gotten beyond the mom-hovers-over-me stage, but I still have to remind them of certain things.And that's where the tension escalates. 

"Did you comb your hair?"

"Did you brush your teeth?"

"Did you feed your pets?"

"Did you make your bed?"

"Did you seriously put that outfit on to wear in public?" (lol)

By the time you ask several children a variety of "Did you..." questions, every one is irritated (including Mom) and no one really feels like Bible time over breakfast.Can you relate? 

There just had to be a simpler way. Here is what worked for us. Our family uses the Morning Five. 

Morning Five is simply five things they need to do in the morning as soon as their feet hit the floor. 

Have little ones trace their hands and write (with help, of course) what they have to do to begin their day. By cutting out their own tracing, they practice motor/cutting skills, too. 





The morning five for the 5-year-old consists of: 

1. Bathroom business
2. Get Dressed
3. Help sister make the bed
4. Eat and brush teeth
5. Bible time and prayer with Mom 

Instead of me having to ask about four or five individual morning routines for EACH child, all I have to say is, "Have you each done your Morning Five?"

Streamlined simplicity. Less hassle. Yippee!

Of course, in the real world no one has only five things to do, but this is merely a starting point of training children in basics. These are just baby steps of developing good habits. We start with the morning five, but then add to their nighttime routine, or increase responsibility with chore duty as they get older.

You wouldn't believe how much more peaceful the morning is when I don't have to remind the children of every little thing. This is their habit, now, not mine.

This little craft helps them visualize what should be done by using their own fingers as (and all you homeschool moms and teacher moms should love this) manipulatives!

Morning Five is our code for what it takes to get ready for the day. So what do you do to ease your children into good habits in the mornings? 

 Sharing at:
http://www.joyousnotions.com/2013/12/free-book-fridaygiveaway-winner.html

4 comments:

Stacie said...

I love this idea! I may to have to use it. I wish I had more to offer by way of tips, but the truth is that I ask a series of "Did you...?" questions every day! Glad you shared this.

Theresa Powers said...

A note!! You were one of our featured bloggers this week at Joyous Notions! Thank you for sharing with us!!

This is a good idea! As long as children have it written, they seem to do better than us talking about it each morning, and they like written lists - at least ours do! Blessings, Theresa

Gin said...

Stacie, thank you for stopping by! I always love reading your blog and "hearing" how you & your sweet family are doing. Blessings this Christmas season, my online friend!

Gin said...

Theresa, how exciting to be featured at your lovely site! Thank you for leaving me a comment to let me know--I haven't been online much this week. Thank you and Merry Christmas, Theresa!